The HSE strategy, Helping Great Britain work well, was formally launched at an event in London this week.
The HSE launched the strategy for consultation in December. It did not invite discussion on the strategy’s goals, only on how they could be achieved. It held a series of invitation-only events in cities around Britain in January and February.
HSE chair Dame Judith Hackitt said these events had shown “strong support” for the strategy’s aims. “We have spoken to hundreds of people directly and reached millions more through social media,” said Hackitt. “But what we have seen is more than just ’support’, there is a huge amount of energy and a desire to get involved in driving improvement in all parts of the system.”
These aims are as follows:
- Promoting broader ownership of health and safety in Great Britain
- highlighting and tackling the costs of work-related ill health
- simplifying risk management and helping business to grow
- giving SMEs simple advice so that they know what they have to do
- anticipating and tackling new health and safety challenges
- promoting the benefits of Great Britain’s world-class health and safety system.
The HSE’s previous strategy issued in 2009, Be Part of the Solution, also called on industry to share responsibility with the regulator for reducing accidents and ill health.
TEAM Safety Services thinks this a step in the right direction. Let us know how you will help Britan work well?